The Chronic Homelessness Initiative at Tipping Point has collected resources from service providers across San Francisco to help people experiencing homelessness maximize success in accessing their stimulus payments.

What are Economic Impact Payments?

Congress passed the CARES Act in response to COVID-19, which created Economic Impact Payments (EIP), often referred to as “stimulus payments.” Individuals could be eligible for up to $1,200, or more if they have children. You may need to take action to get this payment.

Deadline extended for non-filers! The non-filer form, a key resource, will now close on November 21. If you or someone you know is unhoused and needs one-on-one support with stimulus payments, please visit:


  • Hospitality House: 146 Leavenworth Street or 181 6th Street, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
  • Mother Brown’s stimulus pop-up: corner of 3rd and Oakdale, on Saturdays 10am-2pm until October 15th

Click on the tabs below to navigate to more resources:

Do I Need to Take Action?

Do I Need to Take Action?

Start here, with a chart that provides an overview of how to obtain your Economic Impact Payment.

View the flowchart in English

Ver el flujograma en español

عرض المخطط الانسيابي باللغة العربية
Посмотреть блок-схему на русском языке

IRS general information and filing forms for stimulus payments:
Sign up for your stimulus payment

Most of the information below is aimed at “Non-Filers,” or people who need to take action to get their stimulus payments. You are in this group if:

  • You are NOT on SSI, SSDI, VA or Railroad Retirement benefits. (The IRS will automatically send stimulus payments to beneficiaries of these programs.)
  • You DID NOT file taxes for 2018 or 2019. (The IRS will automatically send stimulus payments to people who did file.)
  • You DID NOT earn more than $12,200 income from work in 2019, or $24,400 for a married couple that files taxes together. (People who earned more than these amounts need to file taxes to receive stimulus payments.)

You may consider filing taxes if you earned any income in 2019. If you file your taxes, you may be eligible for other tax credits and refunds, even if you made very little money. The deadline for filing taxes this year has been extended to July 15, 2020.

If none of the above apply to you, and you will not file taxes, you are a “Non-Filer.” You must complete the Non-Filer Form to get your stimulus payment.
Go to the Non-Filer online form to sign up

Protect your personal information! Never give out your personal information to someone you don’t know or whose background can’t be trusted. There are many scams online and in-person. Only use or accept help from sources that you can verify.

back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Many of your frequently asked questions about Economic Impact Payments may be answered through the following resources:

Overview of how to obtain your stimulus payment:
View the flowchart

Updated, comprehensive guide to Economic Impact Payments, including fraud alerts and FAQ, from Bay Area Legal Aid:
Click here to see more

FAQ from Western Center on Law and Poverty: 

Wondering when your payment will arrive? As of April 16, 2020, the best understanding is that direct deposit for people who complete the Non-Filer form may be transferred in as little as a week, while checks for Non-Filers will take at least several weeks. (Checks are being issued on a rolling basis, starting with the lowest incomes first.)
Click here to see more

back to top

Non-Filer EIP Sign Up

Non-Filer EIP Sign Up

Confirm you need to sign up to receive your Economic Impact Payment:
Click here to see flowchart

If you are categorized as a “Non-Filer” you will need to complete the online form for Non-Filers to get your payment. See below for a list of information required to get your payment and resources if you need help.

If you would like one-on-one support or need access to technology to complete this form, there is help available at:

  • Tenderloin and SOMA – Hospitality House
    146 Leavenworth Street or 181 6th Street
    Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
  • Bayview – Mother Brown’s stimulus pop-up
    Corner of 3rd and Oakdale
    Saturdays 10am-2pm until October 15th

Non-Filer Online Form

After you have collected the items below, you will be ready to create an account and sign up for your Economic Impact Payment:
Go to the online form

Mailing address where you can receive a check

You will need an address where you can receive a check in the mail, if you are not using direct deposit.
See options for securing a mailing address

Social Security Number

You must have a valid social security number to receive a stimulus payment. However, you do NOT need a copy of your Social Security card. 
Click here for help recovering your Social Security number

If you are undocumented, there may be alternative financial resources for you:

Email Address

You will need an email address in order to create an account to file for your stimulus payment. After you fill out the form, you will receive a confirmation, possibly within an hour but usually in 24-48 hours, that the form has been accepted at this email. If the form is not accepted, you should receive an email telling you if there is an error with the form and how to correct it.
See more information on creating an email address

Computer, Tablet, or Smartphone to Complete Online Form

You will need a device to complete the form, and the form is not optimized for phone use. LinkSF maintains a directory of locations where people can access the internet and connected devices.
See the list of tech-enabled support locations in San Francisco

Accessing Your Money

The quickest way to receive your payment is with direct deposit.  To receive your stimulus payment via direct deposit, you will need: your account number, type of account (checking or savings), and routing number.
See more information on direct deposit services

If you do not have a bank account, you may be able to sign up for an account with a bank or credit union, or for a prepaid debit card that can also help you get direct deposit quickly. Most prepaid debit cards require that you set up an account in order to use them.
See more information on prepaid debit cards

If you receive a stimulus payment through the mail in the form of a paper check, you have several options for cashing it:
See options for cashing paper checks

You may need a copy of your Social Security card to open certain bank accounts or other financial products.
Learn how to obtain your Social Security card

back to top

Resources Beyond EIP

Resources Beyond EIP

Beyond Economic Impact Payments, there are some other financial resources that may be available depending on your situation. 

Project Homeless Connect maintains a directory of services that is updated daily for accuracy.
See service directory

GA/CAAP Benefits: If you are experiencing homelessness and on GA/CAAP (or want to be), you may be eligible for an increased monthly amount of up to $588 by making a simple phone call. Bay Area Legal Aid has more information on how to access this.
See CA/CAAP overview

Unemployment Insurance: If you are unemployed due to COVID-19, you may be able to get unemployment insurance (UI).

San Francisco’s OEWD also offers 1-hour virtual info sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays to provide support, where you can get your questions answered in real time.
RSVP and get call-in information for these info sessions

Government-Issued ID: If you are on GA/CAAP and have an ID on file, you can go to the HSA distribution window at 1235 Mission St and request a copy of your ID.

You may also be able to get the fee waived for a driver’s license or CA ID card by getting the “No Fee ID voucher” (form # DL 933). If you are on GA/CAAP, you can obtain this at HSA at 1235 Mission St. Otherwise, certain direct service providers may offer this.

If you have an ID that expired in the last 12 months and a valid social security number, you can renew your ID by mail. You can get it for free if you send the “No Fee ID voucher” along with the renewal by mail form (form # DL410) to the DMV. You will get an ID mailed to the address you provide on the CA DL 410 form. Once complete, send these forms to:

DMV, Attn: Renewal by Mail Unit
PO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290 – 0001

You may need to visit a DMV office to receive further assistance. Because the DMV is currently closed in observance of shelter in place, it may not be possible to apply for an ID card in person during this time.

Undocumented individuals may find assistance through these additional resources:

back to top

Copyright © 2020 Tipping Point Community. All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: Tipping Point Community is not providing tax, legal or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. People may still be unable to get their EIP despite following these resources.